Monday, July 19, 2010

So begins the stretch without rest

After our amazing, and yet very unrestful, rest day of mountain biking in Telluride we embarked on our final leg from Colorado to San Francisco, without rest. The leg that was originally supposed to have one rest day that we had accumulated by doing extra miles in Kansas turned into a stretch without rest when we pushed up our finish date from the 1st of August to the 31st of July.  So we left not knowing that to expect from the rest of Colorado and the remainder of the Western Express trail to San Fran, but turns out we got a break! Remember the Gondola I referred to in the previous post? We got to throw our road bikes on the back of that and fly over the mountain that we would have otherwise had to climb on the morning after a rest day, the hardest time to climb when your legs are not in the habit of destroying themselves. This was nice, however, there was no Gondola to fly us over Lizard Head pass, our last pass in the rockies at over 9,000 feet.





Before we knew it we had met the rockies, we crushed through the rockies and we were descending 30 plus miles to western Colorado.  The rockies we truly epic and awe-inspiring.  I saw some of if not the most beautiful things I have ever seen in my life (it seems like I am changing the "Most beautiful things I've seen" every day) and the sense of accomplishment that comes with climbing over the Rocky Mountains is really like no other feeling in the world, doesnt it have such a nice ring to it, "I rode my bicycle over the Rocky Mountains?"  Stars from 10,000 feet, beautiful passes, cool weather at high elevation and sights I will never forget along with the great feeling of accomplishment are all things I will honestly miss about the Rocky Mountains, climbing and feeling like air doesn't work in my lungs, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment